Home  |  News  |  Historical  |  Photo Gallery  |  Links  |  Contact
 

Articles

The Canadian Regiment of Fencible Infantry
The recreated Canadian Fencibles started in 1986 with a meeting of a group of interested hobbyists, some of whom were already portraying a crown regiment from the American Revolutionary War period.
   

History - A Brief History

Originally, in 1803, the regiment was placed on the Army Establishment and recruiting started in the Scottish Highlands. With several concerns by recruits that the regiment would be sent to the Bahamas or sold to the East India Company, there was great objection and open rebellion. The regiment was disbanded and recruiting activities were resumed in North America with the transfer of the commissioned and non-commissioned officers. Recruiting began in Lower and Upper Canada in 1805 and after some initial difficulties had recruited able bodied men from Quebec City to Niagara becoming 600 in strength for all rank and file.

Initially activities in the War were focused on the protection of the Montreal District. Other activities included protection of flotillas on the Saint Lawrence River, recruiting in York.

In 1813, different detachments of the regiment saw increased direct involvement by as marines on vessels on Lake Champlain, a raid on Red Mills while stationed at Prescott, a charge with flank companies of the 49th Regiment on the enemy guns at the battle of Crysler's Farm, and construction of then defense of an abatis at the front line at the battle of the Chateauguay. Their bravery and exploits cannot be adequately addressed here and you are encouraged to read additional material (for example on the Distinguished General web site under Links).

Early in 1814 saw four companies of the Canadian Fencibles along with detachments of the 89th and 103rd regiments participating in an attack on the enemy at Salmon arm and the next month grenadiers, with a company of Voltigeurs, bravely marching under very difficult conditions to reinforce the garrison at Lacolle that was under attack. The latter half of 1814 had the Canadian Fencibles performing garrison duty from Kingston to Niagara and building the first fortifications in Penetanguishine.

In May 1816, the regiment received orders to return to Montreal shortly afterwards they were disbanded. Many were granted land in the Perth Military Settlement and a good number of them made their mark in Lanark and eastern Ontario in a good number of ways.

You will see the regiment's name listed on the plaque on the wall of the parade square of Old Fort Henry in Kingston, Ontario that identifies all regiments garrisoned at the fort.

 

 

 

Calendar of Events
November 11-11 2017
Regimental Dinner
November 11-11 2017
Service of Remembrance at Crysler Farm Park, 9:00 am

 

 

 
Website designed by Graham Lindsey